Almost five years ago, my mom & I roadtripped up to Boston for the week. We had such a wonderful time seeing historic sights and visiting so many beautiful places. But by far, my favorite part of the trip was eating a buffalo chicken pizza in Salem. It was a place called Tavern on the Square and our lunch was delicious. Well, mine was. My mom had momentarily lost her mind and was on a low carb diet. Who goes on a low carb diet on vacation? So, while I was indulging in amazing fried pickle spears and the best pizza of my life, she was eating salads and mashed turnips.
When Graham and I were in New England this fall, I debated over whether or not to go back to the restaurant and order the same pizza. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I seriously gave this way more thought than a logical person ever should. But I have this pizza on such a pedastel, I was terrified that I would order it again and be disappointed. So, we’re in Salem and I finally decide to go for it. We get to the restaurant, and I’m sure the waitress thinks I’m crazy as I start gushing about a pizza I had four years ago. She tells me she hasn’t been there very long and tracks someone else down to see if the recipe had been changed.
It had. My heart broke a little, and at the same time I was a little relieved. The pizza that I had in 2009 would remain the perfect pizza, and I wouldn’t have to worry about what I ordered living up to it’s memory. Graham ordered the “new” buffalo chicken flatbread. It was very mediocre. It had corn on it. Who puts corn on a buffalo chicken pizza? It seriously didn’t work. At all.
The point of all of this is that it’s very hard for me to be pleased with a buffalo chicken pizza. Very hard. Most of the ones I’ve had at restaurants over the past few years have been good, but not great. Rather than live with the disappointment of never having an amazing buffalo chicken pizza again, I decided to just make my own. Here’s a warning though: nothing on this pizza is homemade. I used store-bought buffalo sauce and store-bought pizza crust, but this was really delicious. Graham and I finished the whole thing in one sitting (although he did eat much more of it than I did…).
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1/2 cup of wing sauce
- 1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot Cayenne Pepper sauce
- 1 T. of butter
- 3 T. of ranch dressing
- 1.5 cups of shredded mozzarella
- Heat oven to 450 degrees and heat pizza stone for 30 minutes. (Skip this step if you’re not using a stone, and just preheat the oven to whatever temperature you’re supposed to for your pizza dough.
- Cook the chicken by whatever method your prefer. I used a grill pan. Once the chicken is cooked, move to a cutting board and set aside.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a sauce pan. Lower the heat to the lowest setting & add the hot sauce & the wing sauce to the melted butter. Whisk together the butter and the sauces and let heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and add the chicken to the hot sauce.
- Roll the dough out into a 12″ circle onto parchment paper or silicone baking sheets. Move the pizza dough to the heated stone or to a non-stick baking sheet. Add the ranch dressing to the dough, followed by half of the cheese, the chicken (with some of the sauce), and the rest of the cheese. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is brown.
- Drizzle extra sauce over the pizza before serving.