Why has no one ever told me how delicious black bean soup is? It is seriously delicious. And even though it was so filling, I didn’t feel guilty eating it. This soup is nothing more than black beans, spices, a chopped onion, a jalepeno, garlic and chicken stock.
This recipe is definitely becoming a part of my soup repertoire.
Spicy Black Bean Soup (Recipe adapted from this one.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (15-ounces) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make this vegetarian)
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a 4-to 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Saute onion and jalapeno for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add black beans, chicken stock and bay leaf and simmer, covered. Stir occasionally until soup has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer 2.5 cups of soup to a food processor and purée . Return to pot and heat, stirring frequently. Discard bay leaf. Season with salt and serve.
Yield: 6 servings