(Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter; room temperature
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 2 pounds powdered sugar sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons cold milk
- 8 crushed Oreo cookies without the creams
- Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract and combine well. Add in the sugar and mix thoroughly after each addition.
- After all of the sugar has been added and mixed thoroughly, begin adding the very cold milk… one tablespoon at a time, combining very well after each addition until you reach the desired consistency.
- Fold in the Oreo cookie crumbs (I crushed mine in the food processor).
- Top cooled cupcakes with the buttercream frosting and garnish with 1/2 an Oreo.