Side dishes are always a challenge for me. I have like 3-4 really good side dish recipes that I rotate, but other than that I just eat instant mashed potatoes or heat up a can of green beans or something (fancy, I know).
I saw this recipe over on Kalyn’s Kitchen and decided it was worth a shot. I adapted her recipe to make it more fitting to my tastes (and to what I had on hand), and I was absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. This was delicious, and so easy.
Cheesy Zucchini & Squash Bake
- Two zucchinis; cut into half moons
- Two squash; cut into half moons
- Two cloves of garlic; minced finely
- One teaspoon of chopped thyme (or 1/2 a teaspoon of minced)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese; divided.
- Salt & pepper
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix chopped vegetables, garlic, thyme, 1/2 cup of cheese, salt and pepper and oil.
- Pour vegetables in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and then turn the broiler on to high.
- Top with the rest of the cheese and put under the broiler for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and browned.