This lasagna recipe was adapted from another Betty Crocker recipe. The difference between this one and the original is the tomato product used. The original recipe just called for canned tomatoes. That wasn’t enough for me, so I made a pot of homemade tomato sauce and just used that instead.
I’ve actually only made lasagna once before in my life. The recipe called for the noodles that you don’t have to boil and an extra wet sauce, for the noodles to cook in. It was a watery, gross mess. Ever since then, the thought of making it has always intimidated me.
This was absolutely delicious. A certain someone who lives with me ate half of it in 12 hours. Literally =) The recipe says it’s eight servings, but I think it’s more like 10-12. This was a HUGE pan of lasagna. And if you serve it with a salad or some fresh baked Italian bread, it is DEFINITELY more than 8 servings.
Lasagna with Italian Sausage
(Recipe loosely adapted from this one.)
- 1 lb. of hot Italian sausage
- 4 cups of your favorite marinara sauce (I like this one)
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan, divided
- 3 cups of shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook and drain as directed on package.
- Saute the pound of Italian sausage. Drain the meat and put back in the pan. Add the tomato sauce and let cook together on low for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix the ricotta, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the parsley.
- To assemble:
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture in a 13×9-inch baking dish. Top with 4 noodles. Spread 1 cup of the cheese mixture over noodles; spread with 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 4 noodles, the remaining cheese mixture, 1 cup of the sauce mixture and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes, or until the cheese is golden & bubbly. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.