(Recipe inspired by this one.)
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes; seeded & diced
- 1 bell pepper; diced
- 1 onion; diced
- 1 zucchini; thinly sliced
- 1 yellow squash; thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic; minced
- 6 basil leafs; chopped
- 1 T. of fresh, chopped rosemary
- 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 T. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium high heat, saute onions for 2-3 minutes or until they have softened. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomatoes and bell pepper to the pan and cook for about 7-8 minutes, or until peppers have softened and some of the moisture from the tomatoes has evaporated.
- Add the can of tomato sauce, the herbs and salt to taste. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Put two cups of the sauce in the bottom of an oval baking dish, and then layer the sliced squash & zucchini on top of the sauce. Brush the vegetables with a light layer of olive oil, shredded parmesan cheese and sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit inside the baking dish. Place the piece of parchment on top of the vegetables.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. The vegetables should be tender, but should not be totally limp.