Tonight’s dinner is a favorite around here for three reasons:
- It’s easy.
- It’s comes together super fast
- Most importantly it is so, so delicious!
It’s also extremely versatile. You can pretty much throw in whatever you like, add some sauce and you’re good to go! I kept it simple with sautéed onions, spicy chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s, baby spinach and of course the pasta and sauce. You can also change it up based on what type of pasta you buy. I’ve seen so many different types of tortellini at the various grocery stores I frequent, and so far the classic cheese filled is my favorite.
Tortellini with Spinach & Sausage
- 1 package of tortellini (I used whole wheat, cheese filled)
- 2 Spicy Italian chicken sausage links; thinly sliced
- 5-6 cups of baby spinach
- 1 onion; thinly sliced
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: Red pepper flakes, fresh basil & Parmesan cheese
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Heat 2 T. of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onions & sausage. Let cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the onions and sausage (add it a little at a time, let it wilt down and then add some more).
- Once the spinach is wilted, add the marinara & the red pepper flakes, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer while pasta cooks.
- When the water is boiling, add a little olive oil to the water, then add the pasta. Cook according to package instructions (my package said 7-9 minutes, but it was ready in 5).
- Toss pasta with the sauce and serve. Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese and fresh basil if you wish.