Lasagna. I love lasagna. It’s easy, it’s hearty, and it’s delicious. I usually make it with spicy Italian sausage, but this time I was looking for something a little lighter. So, instead of sausage, I sauteed a ton of vegetables and it was every bit as delicious, with a heck of a lot less calories. I promise, this lasagna is so delicious and filling, even the biggest carnivore would never miss the meat. One thing I love about this recipe, is how easy it is to customize to your own preference and what a great way it is to use up a lot of veggies that may be on their way out. It’s also really easy to make multiple dishes of this. I doubled up on the amount of veggies and sauce, froze half, and already have the filling ready for another pan of lasagna in the future.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 oz. crimini mushrooms
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 10 oz. box of frozen spinach; thawed & all liquid squeezed out
- 2 cloves of garlic; minced
- 4 cups of marinara sauce
- 3 cups of shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan
- 15 oz. of part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1 T. of red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, zucchini, mushrooms, and bell pepperfor about 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for an additional two minutes. Add the spinach, the marinara sauce, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper to taste. Lower the heat, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook and drain as directed on package.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix the ricotta, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the parsley.
- To assemble:
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture in a 13×9-inch baking dish. Top with 4 noodles. Spread 1 cup of the cheese mixture over noodles; spread with 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 4 noodles, the remaining cheese mixture, 1 cup of the sauce mixture and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes, or until the cheese is golden & bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.