A couple of weeks ago, I received the best care package from the people over at Kayem. They sent me a few varieties of their artisan sausages to try. These sausages are fully-cooked and made with premium cuts of pork sirloin blended with natural ingredients. Each package boasts simple, natural ingredients, and the sausages are MSG free, and gluten free.
They sent me three packages, and while all three were delicious, I was the most excited about the pineapple. I was tempted just to skewer these with some fresh pineapple and some peppers and onions, but my husband suggested making a Hawaiian style pizza, using the sausage in place of ham.
These sausages are fully cooked, so you could just slice them, and throw them on a pizza as is, but I crisped mine up first by thinly slicing them and throwing them in a skillet for a few minutes. The sugar in the sausage helped them crisp up & caramelize quickly. One thing that was a pleasant surprise was how well these stayed together when cut. Some of the brands of sausage I’ve used in the past have had ingredients falling out of the slices, leaving me with flavorless sausage and a messy pan. These sausages (and other Kayem products) are easily accessible, and can now be found at Harris Teeter grocery stores. Their other flavors include Andouille, Fire Roasted Pepper Jack, Sweet Pepper Provolone & Sweet Sausage. They do include sugar, so they’re not whole30 compliant (I’m still looking for more options that are), but they’re really delicious. Now, for this pizza recipe.
Y’all. This was good. Really, really good. And this is coming from a girl who isn’t a big fan of BBQ sauce. This roasted garlic & sriracha BBQ sauce from Trader Joe’s is really good. And the flavor was perfect on this pizza. All of the flavors of this went together so perfectly. It was just the right combination of sweet & spicy.
Hawaiian” Pizza with Kayem’s Pineapple & Bacon Sausage
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 2 links of Kayem’s Pineapple & uncured bacon sausage; thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of chopped pineapple
- 1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese (1.5 – 2 cups)
- BBQ sauce (1/4 – 1/2 cup)
- Cilantro (optional)
- 1 T. of olive oil
- Preheat oven to whatever temperature you need for your dough.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and ass the sausage. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sausage is a heated through, and slightly charred on the edges.
- Roll out the pizza dough, and then add your toppings, except the cilantro.
- Bake according to your dough’s directions. Once finished baking, turn the broiler on high for just a minute (seriously – keep the oven door open, and keep an eye on it), to let the top get a little extra golden & bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro (if you like), and serve.
And since I didn’t want to make this the longest post ever, check back with me next week. I have another recipe I made with the fire roasted pepper jack sausages to share… So. Good.
(I received the three packs of sausage complimentary for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.)