When I was in college, I LIVED off of Crystal Light. You know, those drink powders that you add to water to make fruity drinks. I had given up soda, but I hated (and still hate) drinking water. Since sweet tea was high in calories, I drank truck loads of this stuff. I didn’t care about the long list of chemicals, I just cared that it was sugar free, and had zero calories. These days, I know better. (If I’m going to drink a crap ton of chemicals every day, it’s going to be in the form of Diet Coke.) Knowing better means that if I want strawberry limeade (or lemonade, I’m going to have to make it myself. So, that’s what I did. And guys… This stuff is worth the effort!
The addition of lots of real strawberries, and not just strawberry flavored chemicals, give this a thick, really luscious texture. It does take a while to push the puree through the mesh strainer. Next time I might try cheesecloth… The mint adds a little bit of interest to it, but the flavor isn’t strong or overwhelming.The color of this comes 100% from fresh strawberries. And the best part? If you don’t have limes, use lemons and make lemonade. I’ve made this both ways, and both ways were deliciousStrawberry-Mint Limeade (or Lemonade)
- 1.5 Cups of Chopped Strawberries
- 1 Cup of Sugar; divided
- 1.5 Cups of Lime Juice/Lemon Juice
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1 sprig of fresh mint
- Add the mint, one cup of the water and the sugar to a small pot. Bring to a boil, and boil until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, and let cool.
- Puree the strawberries & 2 T. of the lime juice in a food processor or blender. Press the puree through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
- In a pitcher add the lime juice, the remaining water, the strawberry puree, and the cooled syrup. Mix well.
And if you’re serving this to grown ups, add some vodka to it. Ciroc is my favorite, but the problem is that it’s SO smooth, and this lemonade/limeade is SO good, you would never know what you’re drinking has alcohol in it. The Beach Vodka (made semi-locally in Virginia Beach) is really good, and isn’t quite as smooth. I like the reminder that what I’m drinking does in fact have alcohol in it, so I’m not tempted to drink about 10 glasses of it.